Frequently Asked Questions


What are the test/vaccination documentation requirements for International Students?

Admission to MSU requires documentation of the following screening tests and vaccinations:


  1. Chest x-ray - $65.00 – to be paid on date of service
  2. TB lab test (Quantiferon Gold) - $116.00 (includes venipuncture) – to be paid on date of service
    • The lab test is time sensitive and will require an appointment (call 662-325-2431)

The Chest x-ray and TB test must be performed in the U.S., but preferably at the LSHC. If you have either of these tests performed at another site within the U.S., please bring your visa (along with your records) to the LSHC so that staff can confirm you have not travelled internationally since the date of your tests.

Measles / Mumps / Rubella

  1. MMR vaccination - $72/each plus $12 administration fee ($84 Total Cost)– two separate injections required – LSHC bills insurance if available

Students will not be able to register for class until these items are cleared through the Medical Records department at the Longest Student Health Center.

ALL students including transfer and graduate students, born after 1956 are required to provide proof of immunity to Rubeola (red measles), Rubella (German measles) and Mumps (MMR). Immunity may be demonstrated by one of the following:

  • Documentation (month, day, year) of two MMRs (measles, mumps, rubella vaccination), or
  • Documented history (month/year) of positive Rubeola, Rubella, and Mumps serologic titer. Copies of lab results must accompany this form, or
  • Physician documented history (month, day, and year) of having had measles, rubella and mumps. Office records must accompany this form.

If you have questions about the immunization requirements, please feel free to ask. We will be glad to assist you. Please call us at (662) 325-3285 or email us at

Are there any physicians at the Health Center?

We have six Board Certified physicians and three family nurse practitioners on our medical staff.

Can I have a prescription that is written by a physician outside the Health Center filled at the Health Center Pharmacy?

Yes. The Student Health Center has two Registered Pharmacist on staff to serve you. We are members of most pharmacy plans and will process claims from our pharmacy. You will be responsible for your co-pays. Co-Pays can be paid at the time of service or can be transferred to the student account. We can make arrangements with other pharmacies and other physicians to accommodate your needs. To contact the Pharmacy, call 325-8205.

Can the Health Center take care of most medical conditions/problems or do they refer patients out?

Our medical staff provides comprehensive medical care which is similar to what is provided at any other family medical clinic. The Health Center will help in locating the appropriate specialist should referral be necessary.

Do I have to carry the Student Health Insurance to use the Student Health Center?

No, while we encourage students to have insurance coverage, any currently enrolled student may use our services. Your student fees entitle you to this service.

Do I need to show my ID each time I check in?

Yes, the Student Health Center requires students/faculty/staff to provide an MSU ID at check in for all appointments.

What about confidentiality at the Student Health Center?

All medical records and patient visits are completely confidential. Records cannot be released to anyone without your written authorization. The only exception is when a record is subpoenaed by court order or required by public health law. Medical confidentiality requires that we have your written permission to discuss your treatment with anyone.

What about costs?

As an MSU student you are not charged for your office visits. All other medical procedures and supplies are available at reasonable charges. While payment is preferred at the time service is received, students may choose to transfer their charges to their student account.

What about my yearly physical?

You can get your yearly physical and/or annual gynecological exam at the Student Health Center. There are reasonable charges for these well patient services and can be billed to your insurance carrier if your plan allows for these type services. All exams require an appointment; you may call 662-325-2431 to schedule an appointment.

What about parking and parking tickets at the Health Center?

Patient parking is reserved parking directly behind the Student Health Center. If you receive a ticket while being seen at the Student Health Center, please take your ticket to the cashier at the Student Health Center for proper confirmation of this fact. In turn, she will cancel the ticket with the Parking Services Department if you parked legally.

What are the Student Health Center hours?

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, & Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Thursday, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (closed 8:00 - 9:00 AM

What do I do when you are closed?

Emergencies - Dial 911

o OCH Regional Medical Center - 662-323-4320

o NurseLink - 1-800-882-6274 (4pm-12am on weekdays and 8am till 12 midnight on holidays and weekends.)

What do my student fees pay for?

The Student Health Center is partially funded by a portion of each students’ tuition. Your contribution supports the operational costs of the Health Center. These fees afford students access to unlimited office visits with our providers (excluding mental health) at no charge for the provider services. Other services including X-Rays, Lab Fees, Physical Therapy, Medications are billed to the insurance provided on the date of service, with the remaining balance billed to the patient.

Where are you located?

On the MSU campus, we are on the corner of Hardy and Morrill Road, directly across from the Hand Lab.

Who can use the Student Health Center?

All currently enrolled students and their families, University faculty and staff and families who do not have a local physician. Student Health Center does not accept children under twelve years of age.